Wednesday 27 April 2016

Sea Butterflies, gouache and coloured pencil 1994

An early SF illustration of mine based on no particular story, partly inspired by a dream. Some may recognise the craft as a forerunner of the big kite that appears in The Red Tree. The work was subsequently used as a cover for Interzone magazine in the UK, after the writer Terry Dowling saw this painting at a small exhibition and wrote a short story about it, 'No Hearts to Be Broken'. This was an interesting reversal, where the illustration inspires a story rather than the other way around.

4 comments:

  1. wow, it's beautyful, I can almost feel the sun on my face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's all about sun, and my experience of growing up on the WA coast.

      Delete
  2. I have always harboured a deep fondness for this image. I love the object, but the narrative context just takes it to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick, great to have a comment from you on my blog! These are the kind of pictures we can now get nostalgic about right? Feels like a world away and then not very far away at all.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.